iTunes is an application used to play audio and video files or to purchase and manage audio and video on a personal computer, acting as a front end for Apple's QuickTime media player. Officially, using iTunes is required in order to manage the audio of an Apple iPod portable audio player, although alternative software does exist.
Users can organize their music into playlists within one or more libraries, edit file information, record Compact Discs, copy files to a digital audio player, purchase music and videos through its built-in music store, download free podcasts, run a visualizer to display graphical effects in time to the music, and encode music into a number of different audio formats.
How to backup and restore iTunes using Backup4all plugin
Once you installed and configured iTunes, it is troublesome to move its settings on another computer or to re-configure it after re-installing your system. This is where the plugin to back up iTunes is important as it will save you time.
Creating a backup job in Backup4all using the iTunes plugin, will allow you to back-up the application log files and registry entries.
In order to backup iTunes, you have to follow these steps:
- Download and install the backup plugin here: iTunes backup plugin
- After you installed the plugin in Backup4all, define a backup job and run it to back-up iTunes. If you don't know how to install the plugin and run the backup, read this article:http://www.backup4all.com/kb/how-to-download-install-and-use-backup-plugins-910.html
If you need to restore the iTunes files after a fresh system installation or on a different computer, follow these steps:
- Install iTunes and the iTunes plugin from here: iTunes backup plugin
- Open in Backup4all the .bkc catalog file from the destination.
- Press the Restore button and follow the wizard steps.
What information is backed up when using the iTunes player plugin
The backup plugin mentioned above will add as backup sources the following information:
- Music - stored in C:\Users\%currentuser%\Music\iTunes
- Configuration - stored in C:\%programfiles%\iTunes\CD Configuration
- Mozilla Plugins - stored in stored in C:\%programfiles%\iTunes\Mozilla Plugins
- HKCU\Software\Apple Computer, Inc.\iTunes