About VLC player
VLC media player (initially it was VideoLAN Client) is a free and open source highly portable multimedia player and framework that plays most popular multimedia files from DVD, Audio CD, VCD and Blu-ray discs. Various audio and video formats (including MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, MP3, OGG) as well as various streaming protocols are supported by VLC player. It can also be used as a streaming server in IPv4 or IPv6.
VLC works on GNU/Linux, Solaris and Microsoft Windows, but the backup plugin developed for it only works under Windows OS.
How to backup and restore VLC using Backup4all plugin
Once you installed and configured VLC player, it is troublesome to move its settings on another computer or to re-configure it after re-installing your system. This is where the plugin to back up VLC player is important as it will save you time.
Creating a backup job in Backup4all using the VLC player plugin, will allow you to back-up installed language packs, plugins, skins, configuration files and registry settings.
In order to backup VLC, you have to follow these steps:
- Download and install the backup plugin here: VLC player backup plugin
- After you installed the plugin in Backup4all, define a backup job and run it to back-up VLC. If you don't know how to install the plugin and run the backup, read this article:http://www.backup4all.com/kb/how-to-download-install-and-use-backup-plugins-910.html
If you need to restore the VLC configuration files after a fresh system installation or on a different computer, follow these steps:
- Install VLC player and the VLC plugin from here: VLC player backup plugin
- Open in Backup4all the .bkc catalog file from the destination.
- Press the Restore button and follow the wizard steps.
What information is backed up when using the VLC player plugin
The backup plugin mentioned above will add as backup sources the following information:
- Plugins - stored in C:\%programfiles%\VideoLAN\VLC
- Skins - stored in C:\%programfiles%\VideoLAN\VLC
- Languages - stored in C:\%programfiles%\VideoLAN\VLC\locale
- OSD menu - stored in C:\%programfiles%\VideoLAN\VLC
- For 32-bit OS:HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\VLC media playerHKLM\SOFTWARE\VideoLAN
- For 64-bit OS:HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\VLC media playerHKLM\Wow6432Node\SOFTWARE\VideoLAN
- For 32-bit OS: