On this page:
The smart backup type will create a full back up on the first execution, then it will calculate and automatically decide which is the best backup type to be executed, in order to keep as many file versions as possible in the given destination space. This way, the full, differential and incremental types will be used for the further backup executions. The smart backup type will create in destination a new zip file with the backup sources from each source drive.
How to configure the backup job
- Open Backup4all
- Press New button to open the New Backup Wizard. Type a name for the backup job and select the backup destination. Then press Next
- On this page you can add the backup sources by pressing the Add folder and Add files buttons. When ready, press Next
- On this page, you can select the backup type. In this example we will use the smart backup type. Press Save -> Save.
- In Backup Properties -> Smart, we set the limit of backup size to 500 MB.
- In Explore View (F2) of Backup4all, we can see the backup sources.
Backup execution examples
We will perform several backup executions to see what we get in destination.
- As we have sources from C and D drive, after the first backup execution, we get in destination a zip file for each source drive: 1_C.zip and 1_D.zip. Total size of sources is 200 MB
- For the second backup execution we will add a new folder called "02" in backup sources on D: drive.
- After the 2nd backup execution we get in destination: 2_D.zip which is the second backup version, containing only folder "02".
- For the 3rd backup execution we will add a new folder to D: drive, called "01". The size of "01" folder is 186 MB. We will get in destination an incremental backup 3_D.zip.
- For the 4th backup execution we will change an existing source file on D: drive. The size of the changed file is 35 MB. An incremental will be generated 4_D.zip
- For the 5th backup execution we will change again the same source file on D: drive. The size of the changed file is 35 MB. An incremental will be generated 5_D.zip
- For the 6th backup execution we will change again the same source file of 35 MB. Because the limit is almost reached, Backup4all asks the user if he agrees to delete all backups except the last full and run a differential since the last full. The backup numbers: 2, 3, 4 and 5 will be merged with the new created backup in backup number 6 (file 6_D.zip).
Backup4all 5.x, 6.x