Backup4all supports backing up to Google Drive. This is a very used cloud storage location as it offers a lot of disk space for free.
Defining a Google Drive configuration
Before using Google Drive as a destination for backing up, you should define a new Google Drive configuration in File->Options->Online connections->Google Drive page. Once defined, you will be able to apply this Google Drive configuration to individual backup jobs.
Press the Add button once in File->Options->Online connections->Google Drive to add a new Google Drive connection. After you press Add button, the New Google Drive configuration name will appear in the list and you can enter the other settings for this connection:
- Configuration name - Set the name of your choice for the connection.
- Drive type - here you can choose "Personal" or "Team", depending on the account type you have.
- Authentication - pressing the "Choose account" button will open an authentication page in your default Browser application. You will need to be logged in into your Google account, then allow Backup4all access to Google Drive.
- Folder - If you want to use a specific folder, press the Browse button to select the folder or to create a new one.
In the Online connections page you can set the number of retry attempts and interval length (wait) for connecting to the Google Drive server. This is a global setting for all Google Drive connections. By default, if the server cannot be reached the first time, Backup4all will attempt to connect 5 more times at intervals of 60 seconds. If all attempts fail, then the backup is aborted.
Once you have finished defining the connection, press the Test button to check if the Google Drive details you have entered are correct. If the test was successful, The Google Drive connection was tested successfully message will be displayed.
Setting the destination to Google Drive
When defining a new backup job using the New Backup Wizard, select the Google Drive option in the Destination section (1st page of the wizard). If you already have a defined backup job and want to change the destination to Google Drive, select that backup job, open the Properties window (Ctrl+P), go to the Destination page and select Google Drive. There you can choose from existing Google Drive configurations or create a new connection.
If you have any defined Google Drive configurations, you will be able select one from the dropdown list (to define a configuration go to File->Options->Online connections->Google Drive ). Alternatively, you may define a custom configuration during the same step of the Backup Wizard.
Once you've entered the connection details, it is recommended to run a connection test by pressing the Test button.
Recommendations for backing up to Google Drive
- After each change to the Google Drive configuration be sure to use the Test function.
- If you backup important data to a remote location using Google Drive, encrypt the zip files for increased security. In this case, even if another person manages to gain unauthorized access to your Google Drive account, your files will still be protected.