Skype is a software application (owned by Microsoft now) that allows users to make voice and video calls and chats over the Internet. Calls to other users within the Skype service are free, while calls to both traditional land-line telephones and mobile phones can be made for a fee using a debit-based user account system.
However, due to Skype being partially free, it is illegal in some countries. Skype has also become popular for its additional features which include instant messaging, file transfer and video conferencing. Recently it was integrated in Facebook's chat system too.
How to backup and restore Skype using Backup4all plugin
After you install and configure Skype, its settings on another computer or to re-configure it after re-installing your system. This is where the plugin to back up Skype is important as it will save you time.
Creating a backup job in Backup4all using the Skype plugin, will allow you to back-up the application profiles, logs, extras, apps, plugins and registry entries.
In order to backup Skype, you have to follow these steps:
- Download and install the backup plugin here: Skype backup plugin
- After you installed the plugin in Backup4all, define a backup job and run it to back-up Skype. If you don't know how to install the plugin and run the backup, read this article:http://www.backup4all.com/kb/how-to-download-install-and-use-backup-plugins-910.html
If you need to restore the Skype files after a fresh system installation or on a different computer, follow these steps:
- Install Skype and the Skype plugin from here: Skype backup plugin
- Open in Backup4all the .bkc catalog file from the destination.
- Press the Restore button and follow the wizard steps.
What information is backed up when using the Skype plugin
The backup plugin mentioned above will add as backup sources the following information:
- Profiles: %appdata%\Skype
- Logs: %appdata%\SkypePM
- Extras: %alluserprofile%\Skype Extras
- Apps: %alluserprofile%\Skype\Apps
- Plugins: %alluserprofile%\Skype\Plugins