About Open Dental
Open Dental is a HIPAA compliant open-source dental practice management software that provides on-premise electronic charting, billing, practice management, and imaging applications that's suitable for any large and small dental practice. Open Dental practice management solution includes patient care charts, prescribing capabilities, treatment planning, appointment scheduling with automated appointment reminders, an integrated graphical tooth chart, SMS and email texting, credit card processing, and custom reporting.
How to backup and restore Open Dental using Backup4all plugin
Once you installed and configured Open Dental, it is troublesome to move its settings on another computer or to re-configure it after re-installing your system. This is where the plugin to back up Open Dental is important as it will save you time.
Creating a backup job in Backup4all using the Open Dental plugin, will allow you to back-up the application log files and registry entries.
In order to backup Open Dental, you have to follow these steps:
- Download and install the backup plugin here: Open Dental backup plugin
- After you installed the plugin in Backup4all, define a backup job and run it to back-up Open Dental. If you don't know how to install the plugin and run the backup, read this article: http://www.backup4all.com/kb/how-to-download-install-and-use-backup-plugins-910.html
- Please note you need to stop the MySql server before running the backup and you need to start it back after the backup is finished. To do that, open Backup Properties->Advanced page.
- In the "Run action before backup" section type: NET STOP MYSQL
- In the "Run action after backup" section type: NET START MYSQL
- Press Save and run the backup.
If you need to restore the Open Dental files after a fresh system installation or on a different computer, follow these steps:
- Install Open Dental and the Open Dental plugin from here: Open Dental backup plugin
- Open in Backup4all the .bkc catalog file from the destination.
- Please note you need to stop the MySql server before running the restore and you need to start it back after the restore is finished.
- To stop the server, open a command line window and type: NET STOP MYSQL
- To start the server, open a command line window and type: NET START MYSQL
- Press the Restore button and follow the wizard steps.
What information is backed up when using the Open Dental plugin
The backup plugin mentioned above will add as backup sources the following information:
- OpenDental Database: C:\mysql\data
- OpenDental images: C:\OpenDentImages