Backup4all supports backing up to Microsoft's OneDrive cloud service. OneDrive is a popular cloud storage service for both personal and business use.
Defining a OneDrive configuration
Before using OneDrive as a destination for backing up, you should define a new OneDrive configuration in File->Options->Online connections->OneDrive page. Once defined, you will be able to apply this OneDrive configuration to individual backup jobs.
Press the Add button once in File->Options->Online connections->OneDrive to add a new OneDrive connection. After you press Add button, the New OneDrive configuration name will appear in the list and you can enter the other settings for this connection:
- Configuration name - Set the name of your choice for the connection.
- Account type - here you can choose "Personal" or "Business", depending on the account type you have.
- Authentication - pressing the "Choose account" button will open an authentication page in your default Browser application. Log into OneDrive to allow Backup4all access to the account.
- Folder - If you want to use a specific folder, press the Browse button to select the folder or to create a new one.
- Custom max file size - this option allows you to set a custom file size (by default is 15 GB). It is useful if you don't want large files to be split on upload.
In the Online connections page you can set the number of retry attempts and interval length (wait) for connecting to OneDrive. This is a global setting for all OneDrive connections. By default, if the server cannot be reached the first time, Backup4all will attempt to connect 5 more times at intervals of 60 seconds. If all attempts fail, then the backup is aborted.
Once you have finished defining the connection, press the Test button to check if the OneDrive details you have entered are correct. If the test was successful, The OneDrive connection was tested successfully message will be displayed.
Setting the destination to OneDrive
When defining a new backup job using the New Backup Wizard, select the OneDrive option in the Destination section (1st page of the wizard). If you already have a defined backup job and want to change the destination to OneDrive, select that backup job, open the Properties window (Ctrl+P), go to the Destination page and select OneDrive. There you can choose from existing OneDrive configurations or create a new connection.
If you have any defined OneDrive configurations, you will be able select one from the dropdown list (to define a configuration go to File->Options->Online connections->OneDrive ). Alternatively, you may define a custom configuration during the same step of the Backup Wizard.
Once you've entered the connection details, it is recommended to run a connection test by pressing the Test button.
Recommendations for backing up to OneDrive
- After each change to the OneDrive configuration be sure to use the Test function.
- If you backup important data to a remote location using OneDrive, encrypt the zip files for increased security. In this case, even if another person manages to gain unauthorized access to your OneDrive account, your files will still be protected.