On this page:
What is Amazon S3
Amazon S3 or Amazon Simple Storage Service is a service offered by Amazon Web Services (AWS) that provides object storage through a web service interface. If you're looking to backup your data not only on local/network/external drives, but also to an online source, Amazon S3 can be a solution.
Please note Backup4all does not work with Amazon Cloud drive as backup destination.
How to backup to Amazon S3
Steps to follow:
- Open Backup4all and select File -> New (Ctrl+N).
- In the Where do you want to save the backup? section, select the Amazon server as backup destination.
- Enter the Amazon access key ID, the secret access key and the bucket name. Then press Next.
- On the What do you want to backup page, add the backup sources. Press Next.
- On the Filter the backup sources page, you can set include/exclude filters for backup sources. Then press Next.
- On the How do you want to backup page, you can choose the backup type and the encryption.
- On the When do you want to backup page, you can set the backup job to automatically run on the specified time and days. Press Next.
- On the Personalize your backup job page, enter a name for the backup in the Backup name field.
- Press Save -> Save and run.
How to restore from Amazon S3
Steps to follow:
- Open Backup4all and press the Restore (F7) button. If the backup job does not exist in Backup4all, you must open it from File->Open from, then select Amazon S3 storage. Configure the Amazon account and press Show. Double click the backup catalog to open it.
- Select the location you want to restore the files to. Original location is selected by default.
- On the same page, you can choose how do you want to restore.
- If you select to restore from a specific version, press Next to indicate the version or the date you want to restore the files. Press Next
- You can also filter the files before the restore.
- Press Finish to start the restore process.
- The Amazon backup destination is cheap and offers a reliable online storage solution.
- If you want to browse your backed up files on the Amazon storage, you need a special Amazon Explorer application for that.