Thunderbird can manage multiple email, newsgroup and RSS feed accounts which can be stored in different identities. Mozilla Thunderbird includes multiple features such as: spam filters, built-in RSS reader and quick search, identities, NNTP reader. This makes it a popular choice among those looking for an alternative to Windows Live Mail.
Starting with version 3, Thunderbird includes tabbed e-mail view, new search tools and indexing, smart folders, support for Firefox's Personas, a simplified setup wizard, and robust junk protections that include phishing and spam filters.
How to backup and restore Thunderbird using Backup4all plugin
Once you installed and configured Thunderbird, it is a bit of a problem to move its settings on another computer or to re-configure it after re-installing your system. This is where the plugin to back-up Thunderbird data (emails and settings) is important and it will save you time compared to doing a backup manually.
Creating a backup job in Backup4all using the Thunderbird plugin will let you back-up the application log files and registry entries.
In order to backup Thunderbird, you have to follow these steps:
- Download and install the backup plugin here: Thunderbird backup plugin
- After you installed the plugin in Backup4all, define a backup job and run it to back-up Thunderbird. If you don't know how to install the plugin and run the backup, read this article: http://www.backup4all.com/kb/how-to-download-install-and-use-backup-plugins-910.html
If you need to restore the Thunderbird files after a fresh system installation or on a different computer, follow these steps:
- Install Thunderbird and the Thunderbird plugin from here: Thunderbird backup plugin
- Open in Backup4all the .bkc catalog file from the destination.
- Press the Restore button and follow the wizard steps.
What information is backed up when using the Thunderbird player plugin
The backup plugin mentioned above will add as backup sources the following information:
- Thunderbird files - stored in %appdata%\Thunderbird