Copy backup is a backup that copies all selected files but does not mark each file as having been backed up. In other words, the archive attribute is not cleared. Copying can be carried out between normal and incremental backups because copying does not affect these other backup operations.
A copy backup can be set up in Backup4all using the Mirror backup type and not using the option to clear archive bit. You will get in destination an exact copy of the source files without zipping them.
Follow these steps to create a copy backup using Backup4all:
- Open Backup4all
- Go to File -> New Backup
- On the first page enter a name for the backup in the Name field.
- Select a destination for the backup and press Next. Use can use as destination a local hard drive, a CD, DVD or Blu-ray, a removable or external hard drive, an FTP or SFTP server or a network computer location.
- Add the source files and folders. Browse for source files on your computer or another location. You can also use the backup plugins defined in the "Selection of files and folders" list. Press Next.
- On "How do you want to backup" page, select the Mirror backup type. Press Next.
- Use this page if you want to schedule the backup job, otherwise press Save to exit the wizard. On the last backup of the wizard, you can indicate when you want to backup. Select how often, in what day and what hour you want Backup4all to automatically start the backup job.
- Click Save, then Save and run.
For more advanced settings you can press the Advanced mode button while you are using the new backup wizard:
- By default, Backup4all will use the Fast mirror option which means it will copy only new and modified files from sources to destination location. If you want to run complete backups every time, you need to uncheck that option from Backup Properties (Ctrl+P) -> Mirror page.
- If you want to have in destination exactly the same files as in sources even if some source files were deleted by user, you can use the "Remove excluded or deleted files from backup" option from Backup Properties (Ctrl+P) -> Mirror page.