Performing a large backup to a remote destination might take a lot of time for the first backup to complete (because the first backup is a complete backup so all files will be included in it). If you have physical access to the remote destination, it takes less time to run the first backup to an external drive, then move the backup files to remote destination and after that continue the backups directly to the remote destination. The remote destination can be a network drive, a NAS, an FTP/SFTP server or even a cloud destination.
The scenario can be used for both Incremental and Mirror backup types.
This article explains how to set up the backup job.
On this page:
The .bkc catalog file is stored in two locations: in the destination folder and locally in the catalog folder. If the local catalog is used, when the user changes the destination of the backup the local catalog is deleted, and a full backup to the new destination will be made.
The backup strategy is:
- Create the first backup to an external drive (that you can use to move the backup files to the destination).
- Move the backup files and the catalog from external drive to destination.
- Change the backup destination to remote destination. The backup catalog from the remote destination will be recognized.
- Make the subsequent backups to the remote destination.
Make the first backup locally and subsequent backups to a remote destination
- Open Backup4all and select File -> New (Ctrl+N).
- In the Where do you want to save the backup? section, you can select an external drive as destination. Click Next.
- On the What do you want to backup page, add the files and folders you want to back up. Click Next.
- On the Filter the backup sources page, you can set include/exclude filters for backup sources. Then press Next.
- On the How do you want to backup page, select the Incremental backup type (or Mirror if you want to use it).
- On the When do you want to backup page, you can set the backup job to automatically run on the specified time and days. Press Next.
- On the Personalize your backup job page, enter a name for the backup in the Backup name field.
- Press Advanced Mode.
- Go to Advanced page and uncheck the Use local catalogs option.
- Click Save and run
- Move the backup files and the catalog from the external drive to the remote destination..
- Open Backup4all, go to Backup Properties (Ctrl+P) -> Destination.
- Change the backup destination to the remote location of the backup. Press Save. The backup catalog from the remote destination will be recognized. To check that, you can press the Test button. The first backup execution will appear there.
- You can now continue the backups to the remote destination.
Backup4all 5.x - 9.x