In this article we will show how to back up your Android smartphone or tablet using Backup4all. More and more people keeps a lot of information (images, documents, music, videos, other files etc) on their smartphone, so it is important to have them backed up.
For this scenario, you need to also install WebDav server application from Google Play, in order to share the smartphone files in the local network.
Then we will map the shared drive and we will set the mapped drive as backup source in Backup4all.
On this page:
- How to install WebDav server?
- How to map the shared drive?
- How to change the default file size in Windows?
- How to back up the smartphone using Backup4all?
How to install WebDav server?
Follow these steps to install and start WebDav server on your smartphone
- Open Play application on your smartphone
- Search for WebDav server
- Select the application and install it
- Accept the popup when asked to give permissions
- Open WebDav Server
- Press the red button to start the server
- When the server is started and running, you will see the green button with the IP of the device and port number
How to map the shared drive?
Follow these steps to map the shared drive by WebDav server, as a local drive:
- Open This PC shortcut from your desktop.
- Press Computer->Map Network drive->Map Network drive
- Type the IP of your device, as shown in WebDav, followed by the port number
- Press Finish. The mapped drive should be ready now.
How to change the default file size in Windows?
First, you should know why you need to change the default file size in Windows. When backing up larger files from your smartphone mapped with WebDav, a warning will appear: "the file exceeds the limit allowed and cannot be saved".
Follow these steps to change the file size limit in registry:
- Press Win+R (or press Start button in Windows) and type: regedit
- Navigate to the following registry key: *HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WebClient\Parameters*
- Edit the key FileSizeLimitInBytes
- Select Hexadecimal and set the Value data at 4294967295
- Press OK to save the settings
- Restart the computer to apply the change.
How to back up the smartphone using Backup4all?
- Open Backup4all
- Press New button to open the New Backup Wizard. Select the backup destination. Then press Next
- On the What do you want to backup page, select Network drives and check the files and folders you want to back up from your smartphone. Press Next.
- On the Filter the backup sources page, you can set include/exclude filters for backup sources. Then press Next.
- On the Type page page, you can select the backup type. In this example we will use the Smart backup type. Press Next.
- On the When do you want to backup page, you can set the backup job to automatically run on the specified time and days. Press Next.
- On the Personalize your backup job page, enter a name for the backup in the Backup name field.
- Press Save then Save and run.