Email Notifications is a very useful feature that enables Backup4all to send an email containing the status of a backup job upon its completion.
Enabling email notifications
Open File->Options->Email, then select the Enable email notifications box.
In " What do you want to use?" section, there are two options: to configure a custom SMTP Server or use the Gmail SMTP server which you only have to authorize using your Gmail account when sending the notifications.
If you select SMTP server option, you need to e nter the following details:
- SMTP Server - specify the name or IP address of the SMTP server used for sending the mail (example: smtp.novapdf.com) in the Server name or IP field and a Port number for it (usually is 25); you can also use Secure Socket Layer when connecting to the SMTP server.
- Email addresses - you must specify the email address used to send the email (From field) and optionally a Reply To email address
- Authentication - if the SMTP server requires authentication check the Server requires authentication box and enter an user name and a password.
- Dial-up connection - if you are using a dial-up connection, select a method that Backup4all should use for sending emails: Automatically start-up (it will connect without user assistance) or Manually start-up (it will require the users' assistance for enabling the connection).
If you select Gmail option:
- Press the Choose account button
- Login to your account Gmail account
- Allow access for Backup4all application to send emails on your behalf
When ready, click on the Send test email button from the SMTP Server section and enter the email address where you want to receive the notification. Once you press OK you should receive a test email. If you didn't receive it, you must revise the settings you configured.
Press OK to save your settings
Sending email notifications
Email notifications can be enabled individually for each backup job. To do so follow these steps:
- Select a backup job and open the Backup Properties window (right click and select Properties or Ctrl+P )
- Go to the Email page and check the Send emails option.
- Type in a valid email address to which you want to receive the notifications for this job.
- Optionally you can edit the default emails sent and also to attach the backup log to the email.
- Press Save.