In computing, the SSH File Transfer Protocol (also Secure File Transfer Protocol, or SFTP) is a network protocol that provides file access, file transfer, and file management over any reliable data stream. It was designed by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) as an extension of the Secure Shell protocol (SSH) version 2.0 to provide secure file transfer capabilities. The IETF Internet Draft states that, even though this protocol is described in the context of the SSH-2 protocol, it could be used in a number of different applications, such as secure file transfer over Transport Layer Security (TLS) and transfer of management information in VPN applications.
This protocol assumes that it is run over a secure channel, such as SSH, that the server has already authenticated the client, and that the identity of the client user is available to the protocol.
On this page:
How to backup from SFTP
Steps to follow:
1. Open Backup4all and select File -> New (Ctrl+N).
2. On the Where do you want to save the backup? page, select the backup destination you want to use. In this article we will use a Removable USB drive. Press Next
3. On the What do you want to backup page, add the backup sources from SFTP.
Under Online section, press Define new.
4. Type a name for this configuration. Enter the credentials for SFTP and press Test, to make sure everything is correctly configured. Then press Save
5. The new configuration will appear in the sources list. Select the files you want to back up. Press Next
6. On the Filter the backup sources page, you can set include/exclude filters for backup sources. Then press Next.
7. On the How do you want to backup page, you can choose the backup type and the encryption.
8. On the When do you want to backup page, you can set the backup job to automatically run on the specified time and days. Press Next.
9. On the Personalize your backup job page, enter a name for the backup in the Backup name field.
10. Press Save -> Save and run
How to restore to SFTP
You can restore a backup to SFTP only if the original source location was SFTP.
Steps to follow:
1. If the backup job does not exist in Backup4all, you must open it from File->Open from.
2. Select Restore to original location.
3. If you select to restore from a specific version, press Next to indicate the version or the date you want to restore the files. Press Next
4. You can also filter the files before the restore.
5. Press Finish to start the restore process.