About Windows Media Player
Windows Media Player is the default player that comes with Microsoft Windows operating systems. Now at version 12, Windows Media Player represents a highly improved version in terms of design and functionality, compared to previous releases. It has built-in support for AAC, AVCHD, MPEG-4, WMV, and WMA. Supports also most AVI, DivX, MOV, Xvid files and can even play unprotected songs from your iTunes library (if using iTunes on Windows).
How to backup and restore Windows Media Player using Backup4all plugin
Once you installed and configured Windows Media Player, it is troublesome to move its settings on another computer or to re-configure it after re-installing your system. This is where the plugin to back up Windows Media Player is important as it will save you time.
Creating a backup job in Backup4all using the Windows Media Player plugin, will allow you to back-up the application log files and registry entries.
In order to backup Windows Media Player, you have to follow these steps:
- Download and install the backup plugin here: Windows Media Player backup plugin
- After you installed the plugin in Backup4all, define a backup job and run it to back-up Windows Media Player. If you don't know how to install the plugin and run the backup, read this article:http://www.backup4all.com/kb/how-to-download-install-and-use-backup-plugins-910.html
If you need to restore the Windows Media Player files after a fresh system installation or on a different computer, follow these steps:
- Install Windows Media Player and the Windows Media Player plugin from here: Windows Media Player backup plugin
- Open in Backup4all the .bkc catalog file from the destination.
- Press the Restore button and follow the wizard steps.
What information is backed up when using the Windows Media Player plugin
The backup plugin mentioned above will add as backup sources the following information:
- Media player files - stored in %APPDATA%\MICROSOFT\MEDIA PLAYER
- Icons - stored in %PROGRAMFILES%\WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER\ICONS
- Skins - stored in %PROGRAMFILES%\WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER\SKINS
- Visualizations - stored in %PROGRAMFILES%\WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER\VISUALIZATIONS
- Playlists - stored in %USERPROFILE%\Music\Playlists