Before the product was renamed Windows Live Messenger, it was named "MSN Messenger" from 1999 to 2006. As part of Microsoft's Windows Live effort, which rebranded many existing MSN services and programs, MSN Messenger was renamed "Windows Live Messenger" beginning with version 8.0.
In addition to its basic functionality and general capability as an instant messaging client, the latest version of Windows Live Messenger offers the following features: album viewer, appear offline to individuals or categories, social network integration, offline messaging, games and application, interoperatibility and also Xbox integration.
How to backup and restore MSN using Backup4all plugin
After you install and configure MSN, its settings on another computer or to re-configure it after re-installing your system. This is where the plugin to back up MSN is important as it will save you time.
Creating a backup job in Backup4all using the MSN plugin, will allow you to back-up the application log files and registry entries.
In order to backup MSN, you have to follow these steps:
- Download and install the backup plugin here: MSN backup plugin
- After you installed the plugin in Backup4all, define a backup job and run it to back-up MSN. If you don't know how to install the plugin and run the backup, read this article:http://www.backup4all.com/kb/how-to-download-install-and-use-backup-plugins-910.html
If you need to restore the MSN files after a fresh system installation or on a different computer, follow these steps:
- Install Skype and the MSN plugin from here: MSN backup plugin
- Open in Backup4all the .bkc catalog file from the destination.
- Press the Restore button and follow the wizard steps.
What information is backed up when using the MSN plugin
The backup plugin mentioned above will add as backup sources the following information:
- Contacts: %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows Live\Contacts
- Messenger: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Messenger
- History: %USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Received Files
- HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\MSNMSGR.EXE