On this page:
Why do I receive the "disk I/O error" when backing up to my USB device?
Please make sure you use safely remove option every time before you unplug the USB device form your computer.
Unplugging the device without using the indicated option will create errors on your USB device and it's possible to lose your data files.
How can I clear the backup and start a fresh one?
To clear the existing backups in destination and start with a fresh one, please follow these steps:
- Open Backup4all
- Go to Properties -> Advanced.
- In the Actions tab, under Before backup section, check Run program/action and select Clear backup.
- Press Save and run the backup.
Why Backup4all cannot upload files to FTP?
If Backup4all cannot upload files to FTP destination server, please follow these steps:
- Make sure your FTP user account has enough permissions to upload files and create folders on the FTP server. To check that, you can use another FTP client to create new folder and upload a small file.
- See if the passive mode is required to upload files. Open Backup Properties -> FTP -> Edit configuration, check the "Use passive mode for transfers" option. Try again to run the backup.
How can I see all files backed up in log?
To see all files backed up, skipped, excluded or deleted, please enable the detailed log.
- Steps to follow:
- Open Backup4all.
- Go to File -> Options -> Logs and history (for Backup4all 4 go to Tools -> Options -> Logs and history).
- In the Content section, please check the Log detailed information and Include summary in log options.
- In the Log folder section select Unlimited size.
- Press OK
You will be able to see the detailed log after you run again the backup.
How to use the one touch button?
To use the one touch button, please follow these steps:
- Open Backup4all.
- Go to the File -> Options -> Backup on demand (for Backup4all 4 go to Tools -> Options -> Backup on demand).
- Check the Enable "One touch backup support" option
- Press Detect button
- Select a backup job or a backup group to start when the one touch button will be pressed.
Does Backup4all supports long file paths?
Yes, Backup4all supports long file paths. The only limitation is the maximum file path Windows can handle.
If by mistake you run a restore to a different location that creates longer file paths than the maximum length Windows can handle, you won't be able to delete/open some deep subfolders. The solution is to rename as many subfolders to a single character name. That way you will be able to access the files and eventually delete the long path.
Backup4all cannot find mapped sources when no user is logged on
When you run a scheduled backup with no user logged on and the backup sources are located on a mapped drive, if Backup4all cannot find the sources, please use the UNC path to access the source files instead of the mapped drive.
Can I avoid the main screen to remain open after a scheduled backup?
Yes, you can avoid that.
Please follow these steps:
- Open Backup4all, go to Backup Properties -> Scheduler.
- Press Edit -> Properties button.
- In the Execute section, check the "Close after run" box.
- Press OK and press Save.
How can I back up the files from Computer1 to Computer2 and restore it from Computer3?
To back up the files from Computer1 to Computer2, please create a new backup job following these steps:
- Open Backup4all and select File -> New (Ctrl+N).
- On the first page, enter a name for the backup in the Name field.
- In the Where do you want to save your backup section, select a folder from Computer2. Press Next.
- On the What do you want to backup page, add the files and folders to be backed up from Computer1. Press Next.
- On the How do you want to backup page, select a backup type from the drop down list.
- Press Save -> Save and run.
To restore the files from Computer3, follow these steps:
- Move the backup files and the backup catalog from Computer2 destination to Computer3
- Install Backup4all on Computer3.
- On Computer3, open in Backup4all the backup catalog from the new location.
- Press the Restore (F7) button.
- Press Finish.
Can I restore the file directly from the zip file?
Yes, you can.
Backup4all creates standard zip files.
Please read this article: Using Backup4all FAQ 2
Is Backup4all compatible with BitLocker?
Yes, Backup4all is compatible and works normally with BitLocker under Vista and Windows 7.
Can I customize the notification emails?
You can customize the notification emails received after the backup.
To do that, please go to Backup4all installation folder and edit the "SuccessFullMail.txt" file or the other file you want to use for warnings, errors and so on.
In Backup4all, go to Properties -> Email page.
In the Email messages section, select the customized file to be used for successful backups.
Can I clean the backups from a removable cartridge disk?
Yes, you can do that. Please note the clean operation for this type of destination will work in Backup4all only if the backup is made on a single cartridge disk.
Can Joker (* or ?) be used?
In Backup4all's filter, the file name patterns can include:
Can I run Backup4all as a service?
Yes, you can run Backup4all as a service so that it performs the backup when no user is logged on that computer.
To set Backup4all to run as a service, you need to create a scheduled task using the "Run whether the user is logged or not" option from Backup Properties -> Scheduler -> General page. Enter your Windows login password after pressing the "Set password" button.
For more details, please read this article: How to Use the Scheduler
How to Enable Detailed Logging?
Follow these steps to enable detailed logging:
- Go to Tools menu and open the Options window
- Switch to the Logs and history page
- Check the Log detailed information option
- Check the Include summary in log option (this will include in the log file all the information available from the Summary view)
- Additionally you can limit the size of the log folder too. Just select in the Restricted to section the maximum values you want to allow the log folder to grow to.
- From the Log Viewer section, you can change the program to open the log files. From the drop down list you can select Notepad or Wordpad. You can also browse the computer to select another text editor.
- From the log file extension list, you can select the extension of the generated log file: .log or .txt
- Click OK to close the window and save the changes
How to burn Blu-ray disks on older Windows versions?
The new burning engine implemented since Backup4all 4.6 does not work correctly for Blu-ray disks older than Vista.
As a solution for this problem please follow these steps:
- Close Backup4all
- Download UDF Reader from: http://wwww.videohelp.com/download/UDFReaderv25.zip
- Extract UDFReaderv25.zip archive file
- Right click the thdudf.inf file and select Install.
- Restart the computer.
- Open Backup4all and run the backup to Blu-ray.
How to change the Temporary folder location
If you don't have enough free disk space on the drive where the temporary folder is located (by default on C: drive), you can change the location of temporary folder.
Follow these steps to change the location of temp folder:
- Open Backup4all, go to File -> Options -> Application folders (for Backup4all 4 go to Tools -> Options -> Application folders)
- Check Override temporary folder option.
- Browse for the new location of the Temporary folder.
- Press OK.
How to attach the log to notification email
Please note if the log file is larger than your email server can handle, the attachment won't be sent.
In this article we consider the notification email is already configured as described in this article: How to Configure the Email Notifications
Follow these steps to attach the log to notification email:
- Open Backup Properties -> Email
- Check the Attach log file to email option
- If you consider the log is large, you can compress it by selecting the Compress the log file option.
- Press Save.
How to split the backup zip file
This article will show you how to split the resulted zip file into multiple files of a fixed size.
Follow these steps to split the backup zip file:
- Open Backup Properties -> Compression
- In the Split section, select Custom size and type the size you want for the zip files.
- Press Save.
How to fix the problem: Invalid operation in GDI+ (Code: 4)
This link contains the redistributable files for GDI+. Download and install it on your computer.