Backup4all supports backing up to Google Cloud Storage. This is a paid cloud storage location.
Defining a Google Cloud Storage configuration
Before using Google Cloud Storage as a destination for backing up, you should define a new Google Cloud Storage configuration in File->Options->Online connections->Google Cloud Storage page. Once defined, you will be able to apply this Google Cloud Storage configuration to individual backup jobs.
Press the Add button once in File->Options->Online connections->Google Cloud Storage to add a new Google Cloud Storage connection. After you press Add button, the New Google Cloud Storage configuration name will appear in the list and you can enter the other settings for this connection:
- Configuration name - Set the name of your choice for the connection.
- Access Key ID - In this field you have to enter the key for your Google Cloud Storage account.
- Secret Access Key - In this field you have to enter the secret key for your account.
- Region - From the drop down list, select the region where your account is located.
- Bucket - Here you have to enter the name of the bucket, or you can create a new bucket.
- Folder - If you want to use a specific folder, enter its name here.
- Storage class - Select the storage class you want to use. You can choose between: Default, Regional Storage, Multi-Regional Storage, Nearline Storage, Coldline Storage.
In the Online connections page you can set the number of retry attempts and interval length (wait) for connecting to the Google Cloud Storage server. This is a global setting for all Google Cloud Storage connections. By default, if the server cannot be reached the first time, Backup4all will attempt to connect 5 more times at intervals of 60 seconds. If all attempts fail, then the backup is aborted.
Once you have finished defining the connection, press the Test button to check if the Google Cloud Storage details you have entered are correct. If the test was successful, The Google Cloud Storage connection was tested successfully message will be displayed.
Setting the destination to Google Cloud Storage
When defining a new backup job using the New Backup Wizard, select the Google Cloud Storage option in the Destination section (1st page of the wizard). If you already have a defined backup job and want to change the destination to Google Cloud Storage, select that backup job, open the Properties window (Ctrl+P), go to the Destination page and select Google Cloud Storage. There you can choose from existing Google Cloud Storage configurations or create a new connection.
If you have any defined Google Cloud Storage configurations, you will be able select one from the dropdown list (to define a configuration go to File->Options->Online connections->Google Cloud Storage ). Alternatively, you may define a custom configuration during the same step of the Backup Wizard.
Once you've entered the connection details, it is recommended to run a connection test by pressing the Test button.
Recommendations for backing up to Google Cloud Storage
- After each change to the Google Cloud Storage configuration be sure to use the Test function.
- If you backup important data to a remote location using Google Cloud Storage, encrypt the zip files for increased security. In this case, even if another person manages to gain unauthorized access to your Google Cloud Storage account, your files will still be protected.