This article explains how to backup files and folder from an FTP account using Backup4all. The idea is to use a third party application (such as NetDrive) to map the FTP account as a local drive. This way, Backup4all will recognize the mapped drive as a valid source for backups and you'll be able to backup your websites, FTP files.
On this page:
File Transfer Protocol (FTP) is a standard network protocol used to exchange and manipulate files over an Internet Protocol computer network, such as the Internet. FTP is built on a client-server architecture and utilizes separate control and data connections between the client and server applications.
The idea behind backing up from FTP to your local computer is to map the FTP account as a network drive by using a 3rd party application (NetDrive). Backup4all can back up from a network drive, so this way through NetDrive your data will be backed up online to a local or any other supported destination. If needed Backup4all can restore data to the FTP account too (via NetDrive).
Backing up from FTP to your local computer is useful for backing up entire websites or other sources that are stored on an online server.
Install and configure NetDrive
Download and install NetDrive from http://www.netdrive.net/download.html. The application can be used for free by home users (commercial use requires a license).
After installing NetDrive, follow these steps to map the FTP account as a network drive.
- Open NetDrive and press New Site button.
- Enter a name for Site name and type the site IP or URL.
- Select FTP from the server type list and choose a drive letter.
- In the Account field, type your FTP username
- In the Password field type your FTP password.
- Press Connect.
Backup from FTP
Backup4all sees the mapped FTP account as a local drive. This way you can back up and restore files/folders to your FTP account.
Steps to follow:
- Open Backup4all and select File -> New (Ctrl+N).
- On the Where do you want to save the backup? page, select a destination for backup. Click Next.
- On the What do you want to backup page, select the mapped drive and choose the FTP sources you want to include. Press Next.
- On the Filter the backup sources page, you can set include/exclude filters for backup sources. Then press Next.
- On the How do you want to backup page, you can choose the backup type and the encryption.
- On the When do you want to backup page, you can set the backup job to automatically run on the specified time and days. Press Next.
- On the Personalize your backup job page, enter a name for the backup in the Backup name field.
- Press Save and run.
Restore to FTP
When you want to restore your data files to your FTP server, you can do it in the same way as to any other local drive.
Steps to follow:
- Press the Restore (F7) button. This will open the Restore Wizard.
- In the Restore in section, select the location where your data will be restored.
- Press Finish.
Backup4all 4.x - 8.x
NetDrive 1.x or later