On this page:
Blu-ray Disc (also known as Blu-ray or BD-R/RE) is the most advanced optical disc storage medium used today. The Blu-ray Disc has the same physical dimensions as standard DVDs and CDs, but it has considerably much more storage space, as a single layer Blu-ray Disc can store up to 25 GB of data (50 GB of data for dual layer Blu-ray Discs). Since Blu-ray burning devices and storage discs will gradually get cheaper, backing-up to Bly-ray discs will increase in popularity to the point where it will surpass other backup methods, such as online back-up, because it is a convenient method and in the same time it can offer offsite protection (after you backup to Blu-ray discs, you can store those on a remote location).
A Blu-ray disc can have up to 16 layers, each of them being able to store 25 GB of data. If right now the most common Blu-ray discs only have one or two layers (meaning 25 or 50 GB), important players have announced that Blu-ray discs with capacities of 400 GB might be available to the public as soon as 2010. As capacity rises and prices will go down, the backup to Blu-ray method will become one of the most popular backup solutions.
Benefits when using Backup4all for Blu-ray backups
Backup4all can backup to Blu-ray discs because it has its own internal Blu-ray burning engine, and offers important features that bring value to the backup to Blu-ray method such as: Wizard-driven interface. With Backup4all you can define a backup to Blu-ray job in two simple main steps: select Where to backup (in this case the Blu-ray disc) and What to backup. Optionally you can change the backup type and schedule the backup to run automatically at specific time intervals.
Blu-ray Disc spanning. If a single Blu-ray disc is not enough to fit all the source data or if you want to swap Blu-ray discs (to store different backup versions on different discs), Backup4all can split it across several Blu-ray discs. Furthermore, when doing a mirror backup to Blu-ray and using disk spanning, you can choose not to split the files. This is a useful option because you can backup your music or movies to Blu-ray discs and not have them split up when the Blu-ray disc is full.
Blu-ray backup automatic testing. After the backup to Blu-ray finished, Backup4all will test the backed up data to ensure that it is not corrupted.
Blu-ray backup scheduling. Backup4all has a scheduler that allows defining a backup job to be executed automatically at a specified time. The only thing needed would be for the Blu-ray Disc to be inserted when the backup is scheduled to run.
Data security. Backup4all offers AES encryption so if the backup is stored as an archive it can be protected with a password to prevent unauthorized access in case the Blu-ray backup disc is lost.
- Backup to Blu-ray with or without compression. Backup4all can either compress the backed up data in a zip archive, or without compressing it at all (one-on-one copy). Mirror backup (without compression) allows this way to back up movies, music or other entertainment media to Blu-ray, while the compression types offers the extra-option to encrypt the archive.
How to back up to Blu-ray with Backup4all:
- On the Where do you want to save the backup? page, select CD, DVD or Blu-ray as the backup destination. Press Next.
- On the What do you want to backup page, add the backup sources. Press Next.
- On the Filter the backup sources page, you can set include/exclude filters for backup sources. Then press Next.
- On the How do you want to backup page, you can choose the backup type and the encryption. Press Next.
- On the When do you want to backup page, you can set the backup job to automatically run on the specified time and days. Press Next.
- On the Personalize your backup job page, enter a name for the backup in the Backup name field.
- Press Save -> Save and run.
Video Tutorial backup to Blu-ray: