To install Backup4all on a computer you need to have administrative rights. The installation process does not take much time. All you need to do is to follow the instructions of the Backup4all Setup Wizard. A reboot will be required after installing of SPTD driver.
If you have already installed an older version of Backup4all, you can install the new version on top of the older one, no need to uninstall it (the installer will recognize if the program is running and ask if you wish to close it in order to continue). You might need to close Backup4all manually if it is in a middle of an operation.
Note: If you have version 3.x (or previous) installed, you can install version 4.x without uninstalling the other one. Backup4all 4 will be installed and run separately, and will give you the option to import your backup jobs/groups from the previous versions.
When you start the installation process you will be prompted to choose a language for the setup wizard. Later during the setup you can check to install other language files too. If you install multiple language files, Backup4all will use the selected language as the default one. After installation, to switch between them, go to Backup4all's menu, select Tools->Options->General
Steps during installation:
1) Select setup language - you need to choose from the drop-down box a language for the setup wizard
2) Setup welcome message - press Next to continue
3) License agreement - shows the Backup4all EULA. After you read and accept it, check the I accept the agreement option and click Next to continue.
4) Choose setup type
- Typical - Backup4all will be installed with the default settings
- Custom - you can choose the features to be installed, select different application folders and additional tasks. Choose which features will be installed.
- Complete - Backup4all will be installed with all default settings.
You can change the folder where Backup4all will be installed. By default it creates an entry in the Program Files directory.
5) Select default settings - lets you select if you want to have the settings (and backup jobs) kept different for each users (Current User) or shared for all users (All Users). Also it allows to override the location of the default destination and folder where settings will be kept.
6). Select additional tasks
- Create a desktop icon - checked by default, places a shortcut on desktop
- Associate Backup4all 4 with the ".bkc " extension - checked by default, will associate the .bkc files with Backup4all (".bkc" are catalogs created by Backup4all after each backup)
- Start on Windows startup - if checked Backup4all will load each time Windows starts
- Create a Quick Launch icon - checked by default, places an icon in the Quick Launch toolbar
- Check for updates weekly
- Start 'One Touch Backup' Agent
- Install SCSI Pass Through Direct Layer (SPTD)
- Install Gadget
7) Select default backup folder - select a folder where backups will be stored by default
8) Select languages for the interface - you can check to multiple languages for Backup4all's interface
9) Select default interface language - if multiple languages were selected, you need to select a default one
10) Ready to install Backup4all. Click on Install to start the installation.
To uninstall Backup4all, first you need to close the application. Then go to the Backup4all application group (from the Windows Start -> Programs -> Backup4all 4 menu and click Uninstall).
You can also uninstall Backup4all using the Add/Remove Programs option from Start->Settings->Control Panel.