WinRAR is one of the few applications that is able to create RAR archives natively, because the encoding method is held to be proprietary.
It includes the following features: complete support for RAR (WinRAR native conversion format), ZIP archives, and it can also unpack ARJ, LZH, TAR, GZ, ACE, UUE, BZ2, JAR, ISO, EXE, 7z, and Z archives. WinRAR also includes multithreaded compression and it allows you to create self-extracting or multi-volume (split) archives. Optionally, the archives can be encrypted using AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) with a 128-bit key.
How to backup and restore WinRar using Backup4all plugin
After you install and configure WinRar, its settings on another computer or to re-configure it after re-installing your system. This is where the plugin to back up WinRar is important as it will save you time.
Creating a backup job in Backup4all using the WinRar plugin, will allow you to back-up the application settings and registry entries.
In order to backup WinRar, you have to follow these steps:
- Download and install the backup plugin here: WinRar backup plugin
- After you installed the plugin in Backup4all, define a backup job and run it to back-up WinRar. If you don't know how to install the plugin and run the backup, read this article:http://www.backup4all.com/kb/how-to-download-install-and-use-backup-plugins-910.html
If you need to restore the WinRar files after a fresh system installation or on a different computer, follow these steps:
- Install WinRar and the WinRar plugin from here: WinRar backup plugin
- Open in Backup4all the .bkc catalog file from the destination.
- Press the Restore button and follow the wizard steps.
What information is backed up when using the WinRar plugin
The backup plugin mentioned above will add as backup sources the following information:
- Settings: %appdata%\WinRAR
- HKLM\Software\WinRAR SFX
- HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\WinRAR archiver
The above WinRar data can be manually included in a backup, but we recommend to use the backup plugin to avoid any mistakes. If you want to backup other multimedia applications, visit the System Utilities section.
Backup4all 4.x, 5.x