About Total Commander
Total Commanders has multiple features as a built-in FTP client, file compare, archive file navigation, and a versatile multi-rename tool with regular expression support. The program is extensible by programmers via an open plugin-API and it has the ability to bind external programs for viewing or editing files. Many plugins are freely available for e.g. different packer formats or file viewer for special file formats. As well, a large variety of internal functions (commands) are available and ready to assign to icons, although some study might be needed to discover them.
How to backup and restore Total Commander using Backup4all plugin
After you install and configure Total Commander, its settings on another computer or to re-configure it after re-installing your system. This is where the plugin to back up Total Commander is important as it will save you time.
Creating a backup job in Backup4all using the Total Commander plugin, will allow you to back-up the application ini file, FTP settings, languages and registry entries.
In order to backup Total Commander, you have to follow these steps:
- Download and install the backup plugin here: Total Commander backup plugin
- After you installed the plugin in Backup4all, define a backup job and run it to back-up Total Commander. If you don't know how to install the plugin and run the backup, read this article:http://www.backup4all.com/kb/how-to-download-install-and-use-backup-plugins-910.html
If you need to restore the Total Commander files after a fresh system installation or on a different computer, follow these steps:
- Install Total Commander and the Total Commander plugin from here: Total Commander backup plugin
- Open in Backup4all the .bkc catalog file from the destination.
- Press the Restore button and follow the wizard steps.
What information is backed up when using the Total Commander plugin
The backup plugin mentioned above will add as backup sources the following information:
- Languages: %programfiles%\totalcmd\Language
- HKCU\Software\Ghisler\Total Commander
The above Total Commander data can be manually included in a backup, but we recommend to use the backup plugin to avoid any mistakes. If you want to backup other multimedia applications, visit the System Utilities section.
Total Commander 5.x-7.x