Out-of-the-box, Pidgin is compatible with the following chat networks: AIM, ICQ, Google Talk, Jabber/XMPP, MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, IRC, Novell GroupWise Messenger, QQ, Lotus Sametime, SILC, SIMPLE, MXit, MySpaceIM and Zephyr. Because it developed its own plugin system, many more networks can be added if you install the additional plugins.
Pidgin supports many features of these chat networks, such as file transfers, away messages, buddy icons, custom smilies and typing notifications. Numerous plugins also extend Pidgin's functionality beyond the standard features.
How to backup and restore Pidgin using Backup4all plugin
Once you installed and configured Pidgin, it is troublesome to move its settings on another computer or to re-configure it after re-installing your system. This is where the plugin to back up Pidgin is important as it will save you time.
Creating a backup job in Backup4all using the Pidgin plugin, will allow you to back-up the application log files and registry entries.
In order to backup Pidgin, you have to follow these steps:
- Download and install the backup plugin here: Pidgin backup plugin
- After you installed the plugin in Backup4all, define a backup job and run it to back-up Pidgin. If you don't know how to install the plugin and run the backup, read this article:http://www.backup4all.com/kb/how-to-download-install-and-use-backup-plugins-910.html
If you need to restore the Pidgin files after a fresh system installation or on a different computer, follow these steps:
- Install Pidgin and the Pidgin plugin from here: Pidgin backup plugin
- Open in Backup4all the .bkc catalog file from the destination.
- Press the Restore button and follow the wizard steps.
What information is backed up when using the Pidgin player plugin
The backup plugin mentioned above will add as backup source the following information:
- Pidgin config files - stored in %appdata%\.purple
Pidgin is one of the few programs that keeps all its settings in a single folder. This approach is better if you consider the scenario of backing it up or moving it to another computer, as you only have to deal with one folder.
If you want to backup other multimedia applications, visit the Communications section.
Backup4all 4.x, 5.x