REV is a removable hard disk storage system from Iomega. The small removable disks store 35, 70, or 120 gigabytes and are based on the hard-drive technology. Like a standard hard drive, the REV system uses a flying head to read and write data from a spinning platter. The removable disks contain the platter, spindle and motor, while the drive head and drive controller are contained within the REV drive. Current drives allow data transfer rates of about 25 megabytes per second. These characteristics make them suitable to be used as external backup destinations.
How to backup to an Iomega REV drive
Follow these steps to create a new backup job that will back up files and folders to the Iomega REV drive.
- Open Backup4all and select File->New Backup (Ctrl+N).
- Press Advanced mode button.
- On the General page, enter a name for the backup in the Name field.
- Go to CD, DVD or Blu-ray page and select the Iomega REV drive as destination for the backup.
- On the same page, in the Write method section, check Use third-party packet writing software option.
- Go to Sources page and add the files and folders you want to back up.
- On the Type page, you can choose the backup type.
- Press Save and run.
Troubleshooting failed Iomega REV drive backups
There are some situations when backups to the Iomega REV drive return errors (backups done with Backup4all) . Error messages that you should receive if something went wrong with the backup:
- <drive name> does not exist - on the Removable drive page
- Error: Backup aborted. Reason: Destination drive is not a CD/DVD/Blu-ray writer device
To correct these errors, go to Backup Properties for the backup job that has Iomega as the destination, click on the CD, DVD or Blu-ray section and re-select Iomega REV as the destination. After that, on the same page, in the Write method section check the option Use third-party packet writing software. Save and run your backup again, and this time it should execute error free.
Backup4all 4.x or later.